You will need to register at the municipality (gemeente) when you plan to live or work in the Netherlands. You will receive your "burger service number" (BSN) or citizen service number (CSN) as a result.

The municipality regularly informs all registered inhabitants of local events and helps with official matters.

On this official City of Amsterdam website they expain it all to you: